Florida weather lends itself to a lot of outdoor activities throughout the year, including bicycle riding. Unfortunately, many cyclists are injured every year in accidents that could have been prevented. As a bicyclist in Florida, you have rights. If you are a cyclist who was injured due to the carelessness of another, you may be able to seek compensation for your injuries.
Bicycle accidents can take place in a variety of ways. Many times, bicycle accidents are caused a negligent driver who:
- Fails to yield to the right of way of cyclists;
- Fails to stop at a stop sign or red light;
- Fails to look both ways before driving through a light or stop sign;
- Ignores cyclists or simply fails to see cyclists;
- Carelessly opens the door of a parked vehicle; or
- Drives in a lane reserved for bicyclists.
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles 2011 Crash Statistics Report, for example, indicates that 4.632 bicyclists were injured and 120 bicycled were fatally injured that year.